ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jonah Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:35:47 -0500

Allow me to secure my place in the geek hall of fame by admitting that I
keep a running list of things that fall into just the category David is
talking about.

Some are (I hope I'm terming this correctly) full blown exhibitions,
some are traveling exhibits, some are individual components of larger
exhibits, some refer to design aspects of the exhibits, a few are
demonstrations.

I included the centers where I personally first saw them, though that
doesn't necessarily mean that's where they originated. Brace yourselves:

*	Watch water freeze (Exploratorium)
*	Hot/cool thermal vision ("What's Hot, What's Not") (ibid)
*	Rotating sand platform (ibid)
*	Mini comet (ibid)
*	Cosmic rays (ibid)
*	Argon candle (ibid)
*	Huge sound tube (ibid)
*	Cell Lab (Science Museum of Minnesota)
*	Experiment gallery (ibid)
*	Dropping stuff demo (ibid)
*	Terminator pigs (ibid)
*	Trading Post/Collectors Corner/Nature Exchange (SMM, Science
North, KidSpace...)
*	CheMystery (wet forensics exhibit ) (Lawrence Hall of Science)
*	28 foot refracting telescope (Chabot Observatory)
*	High-tech kids area (The Tech Museum of Innovation)
*	Drawing robots (ibid)
*	Smart card system (ibid)
*	Scream Machines - roller coasters, the Revolver platform,
inverting bike ride (traveling exhibit)
*	World We Create (traveling exhibit/Louisville Science Center)
*	Body Worlds (traveling exhibit)
*	Water Play area (San Jose Children's Discovery Museum)
*	Cognitive Science exhibit (Arizona Science Center)
*	Video Distortion walls (ibid)
*	Car-lifting lever (many places)
*	Terracing/hand tiles/chemistry demo areas (Discovery Place)
*	Rock River Discovery Park (Discovery Center Museum, Rockford IL)
*	Earth/Moon Kugels (Science Museum of Virginia)
*	Newton in Space (ibid)
*	Rat basketball (ibid)
*	The Works demonstration area (Carnegie Science Center)
*	Model train (ibid)
*	Submarine (ibid)
*	Science on a Sphere (many places)
*	Giant heart (Franklin Institute)
*	KidScience: Island of the Elements (ibid)
*	Extreme science demonstration (ibid)
*	Sports exhibit (ibid)
*	"Random Acts of Science" demo (ibid)
*	Bed of nails (Maryland Science Center)
*	Kids area (ibid)
*	Changing Face of Women's Health (ibid)
*	Leverage tug of war (ibid)
*	Theatre of Electricity (Museum of Science, Boston)
*	Polarizing mosaic (ibid)
*	Demos' A/V system (ibid)
*	Ultrasound demo; used with Body Worlds (ibid)
*	Butterfly House (North Carolina Museum of Life & Science)
*	Leaf-cutter ant colony (Montshire Museum)
*	Holographic microscopes (Liberty Science Center)
*	Touch Tunnel (ibid)
*	Super Gravitron (Omaha Children's Museum)
*	Chemistry Lab (OMSI)
*	Go H2O (Waterless stream table) (Louisville Science Center)
*	Mars Landscape/demo (Denver Museum of Nature & Science)
*	Hurricane Tube (component in conference dealer's room, Gizmo
exhibits; seen at California Science Center)
*	Scream Chamber (ScienCenter, Ithaca)
*	LEGO Test Track (LEGO Invention Adventure, now ensconced at The
Children's Museum)
*	Meet Me at the Hot Spot: Lava-melting demo (Bishop Museum)
*	Body Works Theater & Tess (California Science Center)
*	Big Lab (ibid)
*	Chick hatchery (ibid)
*	Outdoor Wetlands Exhibit (Virginia Living Museum)

Varied though they are, these all have one thing in common: they're all
stankin' cool.

Jonah Cohen
Outreach & Public Programs Manager
The Children's Museum

"You were meant for me. Perhaps as punishment."
     -Despair.com