ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jason Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 2008 07:00:57 -0800

Michele, et al,

Regarding the cutting of science education in schools, here are two recent
resources:

Dorph, et al., The Status of Science Education in the Bay Area,
http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/rea/bayareastudy/index.html

McMurrer, Instructional Time in Elementary Schools: A Closer Look at Changes
for Specific Subjects,
http://www.cep-dc.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=document.showDocumentByID&%20nodeID=1&DocumentID=234

I also agree with Leilah's suggestion of Robert Tai's paper on interest.  It
is a primary source of the CSAS fact sheet,
http://www.scienceafterschool.org/pdfs/CSAS_AfterschoolSTEM_FactSheet.pdf,
which summarizes many of these issues.  In addition to this, I have created
a "Science After School" wiki at http://scienceafterschool.wikispaces.com/.
This includes references that were distributed at our conference in
September, and you are also welcome to add your own.

Good luck!

-Jason
--
Jason Freeman