ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:17:41 -0000

Ha Ha! Great advice Mike!

When I began reading your email, I was thinking to myself, "This poor guy
must have set the room on fire, or at least scorched the ceiling".

This demo does come with a health warning because when it works it really
works. The tornado spins itself up much faster than the rotating mesh
cylinder. In this great picture I just found, they used a ring of slightly
angled fans to start the rotation:
http://maze.icomix.com/picturepage/021306/fire_tornado.jpg You wouldn't want
to try THAT in a room with a low ceiling.

The 'grand finale' powder explosion of my own Exploding Custard show is
sometimes unpredictable - too small or too big can be equally embarrassing.
If you scroll down to the bottom picture on this page
http://www.interactives.co.uk/hearts_custard_photos.htm you can see a
photograph taken by a startled teacher just as I released one of my biggest
ever fireballs in her classroom. The flash can only possibly last a fraction
of a second and leaves no trace on a ceiling, but you can see that I don't
look too relaxed about this one. Look at the face of the little boy nearby.
He just decided to be a scientist when he grows up.

Promoting public engagement with science
through a contagious delight in phenomena
*
[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell