ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2011 00:08:59 -0700

Hi All,

This conversation has developed terrifically.  Starting at bottom, in response to Alan's email.  I agree that exhibit development can (and I say should have a scientific orientation).  Learning itself is complex component of universal human behavior.  It involves a range of sciences that encompass a much broader spectrum than traditional museum studies curricula.  By its nature, it may neither adequately nor appropriately described or understood via these approaches.  It involves tool use, instrumentation, scientific discipline, experience teaching, mentoring, parenting; imagination, and creativity.  It requires passion and a love of sharing.

Educational theory and paradigms are small components.  It's not about teaching to the test.  And rather use right brain left brain, I think it's unconscious and conscious behaviors and decision making that result from our brain structures and capabilities.

Museum visits themselves probably tend to teach people very little that is highly measurable focused content.  We may be stuck with that reality.  This is not to diminish their value, but it highly suggests that they should not be viewed as such educational instruments, at minimum without other cognitive social scaffolding.  They can provide important complex, scientifically and culturally rich experiences.

I have some thoughts and ideas regarding future directions that I'll share in subsequent emails.

All best,

Sent from Charlie's iPad
These remarks and opinions are mine.

Exploratorium