ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Tom Nielsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:13:53 -0800

Aloha Kate,

Thanks for the wonderful vivid anecdote.  Searching eyes can often
recognize far better exhibits outside the walls of science centers than
jaded eyes ever see presented within them.  But how to get visitors to
be active searchers?

Practical or not, the bike-blended smoothie experience has an
ingredient missing from many bike generator exhibits: an intrinsic
motivation for the user to generate power, a real need for the power
produced. The "pedal to see yourself on TV" version that George wrote
of yesterday is a similarly delightful idea.

The first generator exhibit I built years ago was the simplest and the
best.  We had a dark sewer vault installed in an "underground" setting
for children to explore.  I hooked up a flashlight on ten feet of cable
to a small hand cranked generator at the entrance to the sewer.  A
child with the light would enter the dark,with a parent or friend
stationed at the crank.  Then you would hear  shouts from inside,
"Crank faster!  We need more light!"

I like exhibits that allow users to discover such relationships on
their own. The harder you pedal, the better your smoothie will taste -
why is that?

All the best,

Tom Nielsen
Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose