ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Dittus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:32:01 -0600

We had a terrible time making birthday parties work for us - we did full
facilitated parties and though we got lots of referrals, membership
sales etc. we were pouring staff time into them when we took into
consideration ordering cups, decorations and favors. They were wasteful
too.

We switched to renting out the room space at a moderate rate, with a
discount for members, charging the group rate for party attendees and
adding a short demo in for a flat fee. We send out a standard letter
explaining no decorations, food or facilitator is provided by us, and
that supervision must be provided by the family as with any group
visiting the center. Families are free to bring in their own food and
supplies, but must clean up afterwards.

We are finally happy with our birthday parties - we are one of the
cheapest venues in town so we are affordable for many families that
couldn't do parties before, volunteers love to do the demos so it cuts
way down on staff time and we are getting the same benefits without the
hassle.

Susan Dittus

Public Program Director

Discovery Center of Idaho