ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Elsa Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 21:34:43 -0800

Dear Colleagues,

Do you relate to the following gripes: I can't keep ahead of my
email!  I can't get anything done with these phone calls coming in!
I can't do my work with all these people interrupting me!  I really
have to organize this stuff better!  How can you tell me to take time
to reflect on my work when I hardly have time to do my work!

Have you ever noticed how some people have developed a savvy for one
or more of the following challenges: managing to get their work done
without going into overtime; handling multiple projects; and coping
with the myriad emails, telephone calls, and drop by staff
interruptions that impinge on our workday?  Do you know someone who
fits this description?  Are you one of these people?

How do we organize our work life in order to be more effective and
more efficient?  We, (Julie Johnson and Elsa Bailey), are developing
a proposal on this topic for a session at ASTC 2007 and we are
seeking to augment our team with a few other people.  This team will
design and deliver a workshop style session at ASTC 2007 in which we
will share, discuss, and exchange techniques for effectively managing
our time so that we can better meet our professional
responsibilities, have some time left over to reflect on our
practice, and still have time to participate in other life
activities. We envision that this session will offer people tools and
ideas that suit a variety of work styles and resonate with the unique
challenges of working in a science center environment.  This team
will work together to search out and gather these ideas, and serve as
facilitators for roundtable discussions at the conference session.
Does this idea intrigue you?  Are you interested in joining us in
helping your colleagues to more effectively manage their time?

The December 15th submission deadline is fast approaching.  If you
are interested in joining us, please respond to us directly at:
<[log in to unmask]> and/or <[log in to unmask]>.  Please indicate
"ASTC session" in the subject line.

Julie Johnson
Distinguished Chair of Museum Leadership
Science Museum of Minnesota
email: [log in to unmask]

Elsa Bailey
Principal/Director,