ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Deirdre Schwein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:02:51 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Anna Grace [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Help!  I've built a Plinko exhibit out of pegboard, dowel pegs, and
ping-pong balls, but I'm not getting the nice bell curve result I was
hoping for.  Any suggestions for why it's not working and/or how to
change it?

Thanks,
Anna

**
Assuming all your pins are even, your back board doesn't have any
unfortunate bumps, and it's perfectly level on the floor...it may be
working perfectly.  Mathematics says you'll get a good bell curve, but
reality sometimes gets in the way.

If you're always getting the same "error" - you can try to adjust to
that.  For example, if your balls are always going more to the right -
then try tilting your board to the left a degree or two (your building
may be crooked) or vice versa.

If you're getting random errors I'd check the level of your pins again
and then just drop more and more balls...eventually you should get that
coveted curve.

Playing with chaos is always a challenge!

Good luck;

Deirdre McGaffey Schwein
Museum Programs Developer

The Tech Museum of Innovation
201 South Market Street
San Jose, CA 95113
408-795-6186
408-279-7167 (Fax)
http://www.thetech.org

Visit The Tech's View from Space Exhibit
...where everyone can be an astronaut!
www.thetech.org/exhibits/view_from_space/