ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Spadaccini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:42:40 -0600

Everyone,

We're hoping to get a few more respondents to survey we posted last
month. You can go directly to:

http://tinyurl.com/openexhibits

We've already collected 76 responses, we're hoping to break 100. If
you have 5 to 10 minutes to spare we would appreciate your
participation. We will share the results with anyone who completes the
survey.

Below is the message I sent out last month....

We are resubmitting a grant proposal to fund Open Exhibits, a project
that will allow us to develop, test, and disseminate open source
software built specifically for museum exhibits.

The Open Exhibits software, templates, modules, source code, training
opportunities, and prototype exhibits will be made freely available to
museums. The exhibits will be built using Adobe Flash (ActionScript 3
and Flex). We are planning on building-in support for multitouch
gestures and multiuser applications. We also intend to build-in
support for external devices such as sensors, cameras, buttons, and
unusual displays.

Once again, we are seeking feedback from other museum professionals so
we can tailor our project to meet the needs of the field. We have put
together a survey to help us assess those needs: to gain insight into
the state of computer-based interactive exhibits in a variety of
museums, to gauge interest in the Open Exhibits software, and to
better understand museums’ technical expertise and constraints.

We will gladly share the results with anyone who completes the survey.
Anyone from any type of museum or informal educational organization is
encouraged to respond.

You can take the survey and learn more about the project at: http://www.openexhibits.org

Thanks for your help and participation.

Jim Spadaccini