ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Lewis Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:40:15 +0000

If you would like an academic source to back up the arguments about the
validity (or otherwise) of IQ tests, try 'The Mismeasure of Man', by
Stephen Jay Gould I think - that is the basis of the whole book.

And just to add some grist to the mill, over here about 5 or 6 years
ago the government produced learning hooks for people, talking about
multiple types of intelligence - musical, literary, people, physical
etc. as well as you more classical academic type, partly as an attempt
to encourage adults back into learning, but partly reflecting the fact
that school and college education tends to drive in certain directions,
whilst appearing to invalidate others.

Lewis.