ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kim Collison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:43:21 -0600

Hi Everyone -

Jody Ostrander of the Utah Science Center and I have been continuing the conversation about my daughter's science fair project -- although she constructed her own incubator, we incubated the plates within a biomedical research lab.

Jody had some great comments about science centers adequately informing our visitors of the risks of growing microbes at home.  Although microbes cultured from having a petri dish opened to the general environment to catch whatever happens to land is generally not risky for healthy people, more serious issues arise when folks start swabbing and culturing specimens from the bathroom etc.  As mentioned by a listserv reader earlier, the potential for pathogenicity shouldn't be overlooked.  We should be ready to help visitors understand this risk and also help them to learn proper disposal techniques.

All this germ talk reminds me of the sign near the waterless hand-sanitizer in my kids' pediatrician's waiting area -- "Take a squirt for germ-free goodness".  Just thinking about it cracks me up!

There's another variable to test -- the effectiveness of alcohol-based hand-sanitizers vs good ol' handwashing...

Kim

Kimberly Collison
Health and Life Sciences Coordinator
417-862-9910 x709