ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2012 08:53:44 -0400

Thanks Dennis and all for this stimulating discussion.  Dennis post suggests the fruitful and strategic approach of (everything old is new again) of ISE supporting in school learning.  Grossly, there are 3 contributions that ISE's make to school based learning:

1) Field trips. These are often dismissed as too short term to have an impact, but we can do better, and many ISEs are doing better. And even as they are, all of us know anecdotally about the impact of seeing dinosaurs or an emerging steam vortex, etc.  Dennis and others here have worked hard on how to increase the impact of field trips, and there are some new strategies emerging that might be more effective.

2) Teacher professional development, another long term ISE strategy.  I was blown away by a recent discussion I had with the Science House people at SMM.  They are having dramatic and measurable impact through their professional development programs, and are assiduously keeping data.  I don't know how much of their data they are sharing publicly, but Kirsten and others here can probably help out on that.  We know that collectively we are a massive source of teacher professional development, but the research is atomized and silo'd so the collective impact is hard to assess.

3) Beyond the walls connections.  Digital resources offer the possibility of sustained and non-local connections with schools.  Again, I know many programs that are working at a distance or continuing connections with the schools through ongoing communication.  I don't know much about the impact of these programs, I suspect ITEST would be a good place to start, since they are explicitly about connecting informals with students and teachers through technology.

I know that there has been some aversion to messing directly in schools.  Particularly in big districts like new york it can be frustrating.  But for better or worse funders, policy makers, and other movers and shakers look to schools as the locus of education.  Unless we are in the school based mix, we will be seen as peripheral, as so many have been noting in this thread.

Eric

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

This message is intended solely for the addressee(s) in the first instance
and may contain confidential information.  Please do not forward this email
without the consent of the sender.