ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 20:52:51 -0400

I'm not sure how much you can get to from the public side of the CILS
website at the Exploratorium: http://www.exploratorium.org/cils, but use
everything you can get to.  The CILS center has been looking at just these
questions and providing really amazing professional development for a bunch
of us.  Like Kristin, I would be happy to engage in Q&A offlist.  I have
some old stuff that approaches what you are asking, but it's not up to date
- The problem with getting documents that show it all to you is that once
you have started the plan, you are too busy doing it to write anything
down.  Perhaps several others will respond and you can make an off-list
group where we can all reply to all and share what we are doing.

Some quick recommendations:
1. Convene a school district advisory committee and use them.  We asked
every district within an hour of us to designate a Science Liaison and we
used those people as a sounding board, advisory board, and market research
panel for five years.  The teacher professional development project that
Tara Broczkowski and I wrote about in the most recent ASTC Dimensions came
directly out of planning with this group.

2.  Be sure that you have a clear and coherent vision of high quality
science teaching and learning - I would recommend starting with the National
Science Education Standards, if you aren't already familiar with them and
then reading the Foundations series from NSF.

3.  Be sure that you have clear and coherent goals for your own work - are
you out to improve schools themselves, to supplement the schools by
providing something they cannot provide, to improve the knowledge or
practice of teachers, or perhaps to meet the needs of parents concerned that
school is not providing enough science experiences for their children?  Any
of those would be a fine reason for being, but you cannot be all things to
all people.  As a result, you need to have a basis for saying no that goes
beyond "I'm too busy/tired/overworked."

Dave Smith, from the science center formerly known as The Discovery Center
of Science and Technology in Bethlehem, PA

David L. Smith, Ph.D.
Director of Professional Development
Da Vinci Science Center, Allentown, PA
http://www.davinci-center.org