ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michelle Nichols <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:29:41 -0600

To colleagues, friends, and, now, new acquaintances across the country -

On behalf of the Adler Planetarium's Education Department, THANK YOU if
you were one of the ones who passed along our exhibit survey a couple of
days ago and/or if you were a survey-taker.  We sort of ambushed you with
our questions about Jim Lovell (Apollo 13 astronaut, also flew 3 other
missions), the Gemini space program (it was between Mercury & Apollo in
the 60s, each mission flew 2 astronauts), our questions about astronauts &
how they train, and others.  We appreciate your candor and additional
information - some of the responses were extremely detailed.

In case you were interested (if you are an educator or evaluator, this is
for you) - in 25 hours, 6 minutes, we received 448 surveys, of which about
50-70 were blank.  64% of the respondents were female and 47% were between
the ages of 25 and 44.  Based on where we definitely knew the survey
request had been sent and passed along by others, we conservatively
estimated that the survey request went out to about 12,000 people....in 25
hours.  Not bad, I'd say.

If you are new to the world of online survey creation and distribution, I
hope you found our little experiment interesting.  I sure did!

Cross your fingers that our gallery space will be designed and built.  If
you would like to receive the preliminary needs assessment report, in case
you are interested in the topics that we discussed, send me an email and
I'll send it to you if you can receive a Word document attachment.

To my museum colleagues across the country, especially, THANK YOU!

Michelle

Michelle Nichols, Master Educator for Informal Programs
Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum
1300 S. Lake Shore Dr.
Chicago, IL  60605
312-322-0520