ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:34:46 -0500

Tinsley Davis wrote:
> institutions.
>

> The following is a quote from a recent NY Times article (8.21.05) and
> refers to the Discovery Institute:
>
> "A closer look shows a multidimensional organization, financed by
> missionary and mainstream groups - the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
> provides $1 million a year, including $50,000 of Mr. Chapman's $141,000
> annual salary - and asserting itself on questions on issues as varied as
> local transportation and foreign affairs."
>

> -Tinsley
> Tinsley H. Davis, M.S.
> Education Associate
> Musuem of Science, Boston

Tinsley and all:

This is not a defense of Microsoft, as I have no
particular love for them, but most likely the foundation
was taken in much the same way as the Smithsonian.
"Discovery Institute" sounds very much in tune with
modern educationaleze.  If you don't know about them
and they make a decent pitch, I can see plenty of foundations,
museums and even schools being taken in and giving
the DI creedance and even money.  If nothing else, the
business with the Smithsonian and its publicity has awoken
institutions of informal learning. I know we've had spirited
discussions in our staff meeting.

So the real message is: "be vigilant and aware," elsewise
you may be the next institution to be hoodwinked and derided
for supporting ID.

And has anybody noticed that Mac users have their own
"religion" and they practice it with religious zeal.(g)
I use whatever operating system does the job and has
the software.  Of course the Linux religion is superior.(g)
(And I certainly hope you know I'm joking in this paragraph
as I do not wish to face the wraith of any kind of faith-based
zealots - ID or otherwise).

Clear DARK Skies,
--
Jack Dunn