ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Brewster Buttfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:42:16 -0700

Deron
At the Children's Museum of Maine,
I was involved with the creation of trees of several varieties. The
best of which is the one produced using Sto RFP (as mentioned in Eric's
reply). That tree is a large climb in and through tree. It was created
by applying the Sto to a textured armature of wood. Sto is a
fiber-reinforced non-cementatious plaster. When dry it is very durable,
painted and slightly flexible. The texture and shape was made with a
variety of techniques; layers of carved foam and shaped plywood
reinforced with mesh is the best. Do not use plain foam (blue board)
where kids will impact it. Sign foam is much denser and very carvable,
but it is expensive and creates lots of nasty dust during fabrication. Metal lathe is a very strong alternative for complex shapes like roots, however it is harder to work with and uses a lot more Sto which means long dry times.

also purchased custom made trees from an outfit in CA that I believe is
no longer around. A search on the web will produce some hits. These
used the cast bark which is great in the trunk section and less
successful as it branches.  They were relatively expensive.

We also used some real tree trunks, which worked great. Cheap and very realistic but no foliage.

Contact me if you want more info on the STO.

 Brewster Buttfield
Prospect Design
424 Fore Street
Portland, Maine 04101