ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:37:41 -0400

Lisa Jo, and others,

It's not a science center, but there is an educational group, the
Elementary Science Integration Project, that really gets what it means
to translate real science to the kid level.  They engage children in
investigations that are authentic to the kids (they are posed by the
kids and the answer cannot be found in some published source), the kids
"publish" their work in an ongoing record and in annual conferences,
etc.  The work of this group, which includes Wendy Saul, Jeanne Reardon,
Charles Pearce, and others, is described in several books and summarized
inone, Science Workshop,
(http://www.heinemann.com/shared/products/E00510.asp).  It would be
extremely challenging to implement their ideas on the exhibit floor, but
aspects of their work can inform how we treat visitor-generated
questions and data.

David L Smith
Director of Professional Development
Da Vinci DiscoveryCenter of Science and Technology
http://www.discovery-center.org