ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 2009 15:00:07 -0800

And we have PZ Meyers and you have Richard Dawkins, with whom I agree
philosophically, and admire, But I agree with you about the damage
they do.  And that takes me to my earlier statement––people need to
understand and see the benefits of evolution, wonders of scientific
discovery, and wondrous story life and universe.  It's about seeing,
feeling, and understanding evidence.  But I'll guarantee you that's
not why they are arguing with you.

Charlie
On Nov 19, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Ian Russell wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>

> Google threw up this compendium of opinion polls.
> http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm I know nothing about
> the
> organisation that assembled it.
>
> However, it suggests we need to be more precise with our targeting
> when
> throwing those tomatoes. If half the population has been persuaded
> by a
> small number of activists to reject evolutionary science, isn't that
> rather
> a large 'flock of dodos'?
>
> It seems to me that 'non-combatants' are already being alienated by
> collateral damage. Is indescriminate bombing of religion the best
> way to run
> a hearts-and-minds campaign for science?
>
> Promoting public engagement with science
> through a contagious delight in phenomena
> *
> [log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
> *
> Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
> Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
> *
> Ian Russell   (Twitter: ianrusselluk)

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> .
>
> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
> Soft. To learn more, visit

Charles Carlson
Senior Scientist
exploratorium