ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mike Levad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 09:58:06 -0500

Hi Martin,

I developed a show called "Get in Gear" when I was at the Franklin
Institute. We focused on the basic physics behind why protective gear works.
Hard surfaces reduce the pressure of the impact by spreading it over a
larger area. (bed of nails) Soft surfaces increase the time of impact.
(Slingshot an egg at over 80mph into a sheet) The egg in the sheet was not
always successful adding to the drama of the situation.  It tended to be
that the launcher was some how at fault when it failed not the egg.  So you
might try an air cannon with wadding or some other exciting way to
accelerate the egg.

Mike