ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rae Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 07:11:12 -0700

Hello Ed-zoo-cators,
I would be interested in hearing about other summer camp games as
well.  We start camp next week.

One game we always play is the habitat race.
Divide into 2 - 4 teams of 4-6 players (works better with larger
groups).  Let each team pick an animal name.  Make ahead of time a
stack of 60 laminated cards, divide the cards into four groups and on
one side write food on one group, shelter on another, water on the
next and air on the last group.  This represents the four basic
requirements for life.  Each team needs at least one of each card to
surivive.  The more of each card they have the longer they can
survive.

Line up for a relay and have the kids walk/run to the pile of cards
that have been placed face down 15 - 20 feet away.  When all cards
have been picked up the teams huddle up and count how many of each
card they have.  Ususally everybody "lives" the first round.  They we
talk about pollutions, habitat destruction etc., and remove a chunk of
the cards so less resources are available.  Play again and see who
survives.

You can interpret so much through this game it is great.  I always end
with all the cards being used in the last round so everybody wins.  I
tell them that because we all did such a good job helping the
environment that all the resources recovered and were available again.
 Very popular game.  Email me if you need more info......I don't have
this game written down, just model it for new people so I am not sure
if my directions are muddy.
Have a great day at camp!

P.S. Anybody got some new camp songs this year??

--
Rae Alexander
Director