ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:26:13 -0500

Phil,

This is a succinct, clear reply, and helps clarify the discussion. I think
it is an important one--enough to continue the topic. I am one of the dopey
ones who, as a friend pointed out off list, used espistemology and ontology
in the same sentence. Sorry about that! :-)

I am an evaluator, and I often find program people who cringe at the time
evaluation and research take when they are trying to serve a particular
group of people and pull it all off with what is often limited time and
resources. I really sympathize with that. Informal science educators are
often, from my experience, trying to pull off amazing programming with
scarce resources. They are so dedicated they do it by contributing time far
beyond what they are being paid for, and they deeply care about the folks
they are serving.

The thing is, these studies let your voice be heard on policy issues, and
many of the studies are how the programs and exhibits get shared among the
informal science community. They are also a way to share "what doesn't work"
so your time is better spent in building new and innovative programs and
exhibits on a share body of knowledge.

Recently, I did a lit review on Earth and Planetary Science. One of the
concepts underlying theory in the area was "complex dynamic systems."
Understanding this concept involves seeing the effects of multiple variables
on different levels of a system, i.e., micro, macro. That's what's going on
here. Through research and evaluation studies, the efforts as the program
level can have effects on the larger system--in policy, funding, and by
sharing information.

I think one of the real issues underlying this discussion is operating the
informal science education enterprise on the basis of scarcity. Are
business-based concepts such as "lean and mean" in staffing, and
accountability working to develop a lively, innovative national effort in
informal science education? What are the impact of these things in terms of
staff turnover, organizational culture, and anger and stress on individuals?
These things are the result of positivist science applied to social systems.

I know, it is tough to drain the swamp when you are fightling the
alligators. But, I hope you will really consider letting your voice and
perspectives be heard in these studies. Those of us who do research and
evaluation need to do a better job of making the case for why your time
counts in participating. We also need to have some courage to look at these
very real underlying issues of scarcity and its impact.

Best Regards,

Carey

Carey Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting