ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy L Regan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:21:06 -0600

I second Beryl's remark about not perpetuating the stereotype of scientists in lab coats.  If you google 'scientist lab coat', the first hit is for a mad scientist costume.   As a formerly practicing scientist I can attest to the fact that we only wore lab coats when absolutely necessary.  They are but one of many tools scientists use (including goggles).  Here's a link to kids' thoughts on the matter.

http://restructure.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/scientists-are-normal-people-children-discover/

Cathy Regan, Ph.D.

University of Colorado Museum of Natural History

Girls At the Museum Exploring Science

Education Coordinator

UCB 218

Boulder, CO  80309