ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Dee Davison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 11:03:09 +0100

APOLOGIES FOR CROSS POSTING - please forward to anyone who may be
interested.

JOB ADVERT
Education Officer

Full Time Post - 1 Year Fixed Term Contract - Our Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh

Our Dynamic Earth is Edinburgh's milestone Millennium Commission lottery
project, enjoying a stunning location in the heart of Holyrood, at the foot
of Arthur's Seat and opposite the new Scottish Parliament and the Palace of
Holyroodhouse.  Our Dynamic Earth combines a fantastic visitor experience
with the story of the evolution of our planet.  Visitors are presented with
earth and environmental science over a series of entertaining, fun and multi
sensory galleries.
Our Dynamic Earth also operates a highly respected, and HMI inspected,
Education Service which is supported by the Scottish Executive.  It forms
part of the Joint Scottish Science Centre Network and welcomes 50,000 school
children every year.  This dedicated service offers a holistic view of our
planet and the astounding physical and biological processes that have
created and continue to shape the Earth.  Rather than presenting the
products of these processes, we illustrate the processes themselves.
The Education Service is continuing to develop an Education Programme that
complements the exhibition's galleries.  The programme focuses on the
Environmental Studies component of the 5-14 National Guidelines.  In
response to demand, this is already expanding to encompass Standard and
Higher Grades as well as pre-school learning and further, higher and adult
education.
This is an exciting time to work with an expanding and very dynamic
organisation.
Due to the successful internal promotion of our Senior Education Officer,
Christine Angus, to Education Manager (one year Maternity Cover), Our
Dynamic Earth is looking to recruit the following.
EDUCATION OFFICER	Full Time Post - 1 Year Fixed Term Contract.
				Salary - £13,500 to £15,000

RESPONSIBLE TO:	Education Manager

SUMMARY
To assist the Education Manager by playing an active role in the development
of the Education Service and the delivery of our Education Programme,
including our children's club, Dino's Dynamos. You will deliver the
different elements of the Education Programme in our two Discovery Rooms,
including contributing to the production of supporting educational materials
and the sourcing of teaching equipment and resources
QUALIFICATIONS/EXPERIENCE
You should be educated to degree standard (Earth or Life Sciences). A
teaching qualification or experience of delivering an education programme
would be advantageous.  Candidates should be able to demonstrate a good
understanding of formal and informal education within Scotland and the UK.
Relevant experience gained in a similar environment, while not essential,
would be advantageous.  An ability to communicate information
enthusiastically and accurately, an interest in earth sciences and natural
history and IT skills are required.

While this post is largely required from 9.00am - 5.30pm on a Monday to
Friday basis, the successful candidate must be flexible in terms of working
days and hours.

FURTHER INFORMATION:

For a copy of an Information Pack or to discuss this post, please contact
either

Catriona Bruce - Marketing Director.	E -
Audrey Falconer -  Office Manager.	E -

Dynamic Earth Enterprises Ltd
Holyrood Road
EDINBURGH
EH8 8AS

T - 0131 550 7800
F - 0131 550 7801
W - www.dynamicearth.co.uk <www.dynamicearth.co.uk>

APPLICATIONS

If you feel that you possess the relevant mix of skills, attributes and
experience for this post please apply by submitting a copy of your
Curriculum Vitae, including contact details for two referees, along with a
covering letter detailing your reasons for applying and what skills and
experience you could bring to the role.

This post is subject to a Criminal Records Bureau (Disclosure Scotland)
check.

CLOSING DATE:

First Interviews - week commencing - 23 May 2005
Final Interviews - week commencing - 13 June 2005

Dee Davison
Education Manager, Our Dynamic Earth, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AS
Direct Line: 0131 523 1231 Fax: 0131 550 7801
Email: [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Web: www.dynamicearth.co.uk <http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/>

Pre-historic, volcanic, tropic, antarctic, fantastic.
Explore the extremes of Our Dynamic Earth.

This message is sent in confidence for the addressee only.  It may contain
legally privileged information. The contents are not to be disclosed to
anyone other than the addressee. Unauthorised recipients are requested to
preserve this confidentiality and to advise the sender immediately of any
error in transmission.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of the Company shall be