ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jeff Rosenblatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 00:05:37 +0000

Paul, I really like the IFTTT site.  Rachel, we have a control center, about 13 years old, and it has some occasional 13-year old control center issues.  For some of our new exhibits, it's been an added hassle to run control center cable to another location, so lately we've been using timers, which simply make a new hassle during extended operating hours.  We should probably just run the cable.  : )    And to what Martin said, for some of our exhibits in another previously separate exhibit space, we still throw the breakers.  Ours is a mixed bag right now.

But for a new way going forward, our first thought was the raspberry pi, or some similar inexpensive and small component.  We would add a dongle for wifi input, not too much expense, and we have 'maker space' people who would write the programming.  If made accessible, reliable & intuitive, an on/off exhibit remote control of sorts could perhaps catch us up to car starter remotes.  I do envision being able to stand in the middle of the science center and turn the exhibits on/off via a mobile device...at least some of the exhibits.  (no luxury cars included in this vision).

I can't help but think of Planetarium and Science On A Sphere remotes, like the Wii or iPad that staff utilize to run shows.  Is doing a similar control system for exhibits a worthwhile and modern option, or is it perhaps too complex, convoluted, and open to problems?   More thoughts...

--Jeff--

Jeff Rosenblatt
Director, Science City & Gottlieb Planetarium
Kansas City's Science Center

Union Station Kansas City, Inc.
30 W. Pershing Rd.  Suite 400
Kansas City, MO  64108