ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Fred Stein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 08:36:51 -0700

Hi Ben,

Two sources could help.

One is a book called The Scientist in the Crib, by Alison Gopnik.
It's a book about the recent cognitive science advances related to
very young children and science learning and understanding.
It's written for lay people so it's accessible, but also not succinct
research. Here's what she says about it:
"In writing this book we've faced the usual problems of scientists
trying to explain their research. Science is elegant and orderly. But
it is also messy, noisy, complicated and invariably embroiled in
controversies and debates. We've tried to present what we think are
the most interesting experiments, conclusions, ideas and
speculations; but we couldn't possibly reflect the entire field in
all its diversity and complexity. We've tried to indicate when we are
talking about our own views and when we're talking about ideas that
are generally accepted in the field, and to indicate the many
questions that remain unanswered."

The second is an article by Kathleen Metz about how cognitive science
research requires a re-evaluation of the constraints educators  have
believed about children's ability to learn science, based on their
(mis)interpretations of Piaget's ideas, The upshot is that, while
young children do
have more difficulty with certain science process skills than older
children, they improve with practice (!), so it's quite
counterproductive to postpone giving
young children science experiences. Here's the title and abstract -
it's very thick and academic.

Metz, K. (1995). Reassessment of development constraints on
children's science instruction. Review of Educational Research, 65
(2), 93 - 127.

Science curricula at the elementary school level frequently emphasize
the "concrete," with a focus on the processes of observation,
ordering, and categorization of the directly perceivable. Within this
approach, abstract ideas and the planning of investigations and
analysis of their results are in large part postponed until higher
grades. This practice stems from purported developmental constraints
on children's thinking. This article analyzes these constraints in
light of the writings of Piaget, to whorm they are frequently
attributed, and contemporary developmental theory and research.
Neither the Piagetian nor the non-Piagetian research supports the
validity of these developmental assumptions. The article also
identifies several intrinsic problematic aspects of this approach to
children's science, including the failure to appreciate the challenge
of adequate scientific description, the liabilities of
decontextualization, and the epistemological messages it conveys to
children. Both Piagetian and non-Piagetian literatures support the
feasibility of children's science curricula in which the processes
previously approached as ends become tools in contextualized and
authentic scientific inquiry.

Enjoy,

Fred

Fred Stein