ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 11:55:45 -0400

The question of perception is important.  Very often, the interactive is
functioning, but the interface isn't, or the instructions aren't clear,
etc., giving the impression that it is broken (and, from a learning
perspective, it is).  Example - at another institution, we had a solar
train exhibit, and visitors were supposed to crank a handle to generate
enough power to light a lightbulb.  As the light came on, a small train
rigged with photovoltaics would start to move.  After extensive use, the
crank broke (although some suspected it walked off...!)  The exhibit
folks replaced it with a toggle switch - which lasted about two days.
In frustration, they installed a "fancy livingroom" rheostat - a flat
plate you rub to turn the lights up and down.  The public was pretty
unfamiliar with it, and complained that it was broken.  The moral of the
story is, if the public can't figure out the interface, it's considered
broken.
Beryl

--
Beryl Rosenthal, Ph.D.