ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Maria Mortati <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:18:51 -0700

Hi,

Thought you all might like to know about these shows coming up soon that
are science-related and produced in the art and design realm:
*Imperfect Health* - The Medicalization of
Architecture<http://millergallery.cfa.cmu.edu/exhibitions/imperfecthealth/>
We observe — and suffer daily from — the unforeseen consequences of our
actions on the environment. We are anxious about ground pollution, food
safety, pollen allergies, smog, asthma, cancer, obesity, epidemics, and
ultimately, aging. Now that everything is perceived as a possible source of
disease, the health, defense and fortification of our own bodies have
become obsessive pursuits. We have begun to think of all aspects of our
lives in medical terms.

http://millergallery.cfa.cmu.edu/exhibitions/imperfecthealth/

*Matthew Morse Jones* new body of work entitled *These ideas are not mine,
yet I have them* <http://www.laaa.org/five_solos_2012/index.html> is an
exhibition of cast aside artifacts created by non-traditional scientists.
This "artist as collector" presents a diverse collection; there's an
apology note written in blood, a homemade hadron collider by a JPL
machinist, an architectural rendering found in a dumpster – each telling
the story of a person expanding their sphere of knowledge, often through
error. In the realm of experimentation, though, there is no failure. Every
failure helps hone in on the better solution or the better idea. Progress
is non-linear, especially when viewed up close. This show continues Jones'
masterful exploration of lineage in science, this time from the perspective
of civilian scientists, experimenting outside the traditional system.

http://www.laaa.org/five_solos_2012/index.html

.
Maria Mortati
.