ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:05:01 -0700

It can be an issue, but we've never had one, and I can't remember any
instances of seizure inducement ever.  We had a strobe room that had
varying frequencies that ramped right through potentially triggering
frequencies, no problems with seizures in that instance either.  You
might contact Allan Wilson in Connecticut, he specializes in strobe
exhibits of various sorts and is incredibly thorough.  He'll probably
know chapter and verse on the issues.
On Mar 19, 2008, at 9:19 AM, Beryl Rosenthal wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
>
> There's one at the MIT Museum without notification, largely because
> it was part of an exhibition on strobes.  I would contact Don
> Stidsen at [log in to unmask]
> Beryl
>
> Don Marvel wrote:
>> ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology
>> Centers
>> Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related
>> institutions.
>> *****************************************************************************
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> We're considering building a Strobe Drip exhibit, in which a steady
>> drip is
>> optically captured by a strobe light so visitors can study the
>> dynamics of
>> individual drops and experiment with strobe rate and phase
>> relationships.
>> Aware of the potential hazard that strobes pose for people prone to
>> seizures, we wonder what sort of experiences other museums have had
>> with
>> this sort of thing.  We know we'll need to position the exhibit
>> carefully
>> and provide a sign so that visitors are informed about the strobe
>> before
>> they encounter it.  Have any of you had issues with this, and what
>> is the
>> general feeling regarding risk (liability) vs. reward (visitor
>> experience)?
>>
>> Many thanks for your time and thoughts,
>>  Don Marvel
>> Exhibits Director, WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology
>> 308 West 4th Street
>> Bloomington, Indiana  47404
>> # 812.337.1337 x22
>> www.wonderlab.org

>> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
>> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>>
>> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
>> .
>>
>> The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-
>> Soft. To learn more, visit
>> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.
>>
>> To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
>> message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
>>

> --
> Beryl Rosenthal, Ph.D.
> Director
> Tsongas Industrial History Center
> Boott Cotton Mills
> 115 John Street
> Lowell, MA 01854
> (978) 970-5081 (t)
> (978) 970-5085 (f)
> www.uml.edu/tsongas/index2.htm

> For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers
> and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.
>
> Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org
> [...]

Charles Carlson
Director of Life Sciences