ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:38:06 -0400

How do you define "science museum?" A wide definition might include
the following:

1. If Natural History counts there are a lot to choose from. Don't
know how many are independent agencies. Just off the top of my head I
know that University of Florida, Oklahoma, Colorado, Harvard, Emory,
and Yale all have Natural History Museums. I am sure there are lots
more.

2. If Medicine is considered, the University of Maryland at Baltimore
has:

      Pharmacy Museum
      Nursing Museum
      National Museum of Dentistry (web: www.dentalmuseum.org)

Of these three only the Dental Museum is what I would call a mature,
professional museum. The other two are mostly just collections and
limited exhibitions and interpretation.

2. There is also the Perry-MacMillan Arctic Museum at Bowdoin in Maine http://www.bowdoin.edu/arctic-museum/

3. Try the Harvard Collection of Scientific Instruments. It is a
museum in all but name with both a collections and an ongoing
exhibition schedule. I deeply doubt they are independent, though. They
are institutionally connected to Harvard's Department of the History
and Philosophy of Science. http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~hsdept/chsi.html

4. Lastly there is the Robert C. Williams Paper Museum at Georgia Tech
as part of their  Institute of Paper Science and Technology. Yes it is
about the craft and art of paper, but science and technology too. http://ipst.gatech.edu/amp/

5. You also did mention whether you wanted just American museums or
were considering international institutions. The question of
independence is the same, but 501(3)c clearly doesn't apply and so
there are different financial, political, economic  and tax
implications. But you might start with the Museum of the History of
Science at Oxford University http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/

And if you open it up to international Natural History Museums, quite
frankly the sky is the limit.

Good luck.

Matthew White