ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Nov 2011 11:08:11 -0700

Alan,

Thank you for your comments, partially on my behalf.

I can agree with some of the things you say. A planetarium is certainly
a wonderful tool - but like any tool it only has value when you know
what it's used for. Otherwise it is just an artifact.

When I was a small boy, my father took me regularly to the Hayden
Planetarium, (a place, which incidentally, housed one of the most
captivating exhibits I have ever seen; a large gravity well with huge
steel ball bearings rolling almost silently around it). Yet those pin
points of projected light and little images of galaxies did not enter my
soul.

It wasn't until I was twelve, when I went to camp up in the Catskills,
leaving the city lights far behind, that I fell in love with the night
sky and became enthralled by the wonder and beauty it contained.

Only then was I ready to use the planetarium as a learning tool. No
amount of preliminary, formative, summative, or any other formal
evaluation process could have opened that door for me - unless the
effort spent doing it would have discovered that the only thing that I,
and tens of thousands of other school kids needed to begin a life long
love of science was a bus trip to the country.

My point is that we intellectualize too much. We have somehow convinced
ourselves that we are involved in science because we work in science
museums. We pay too much attention to our heads and not enough to our
hearts.

Joe R.

--
Joe R