ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2010 12:22:36 -0500

Hi Sheri-

We've got the same situation, and have to span about 50'.  Our solution
was not off-the-shelf, but it was cheap and portable:  we bought about a
dozen hollow-core doors that we turn on their sides.  If you lay them
out in a slight zig-zag pattern and screw some scrap lumber from one to
the next where they meet up, it works pretty well;  one pair of doors
are hinged together, so one door can swing open/close for access.  We
recently "upgraded" and had a volunteer add slots for handholds, which
makes them easier to move.  We have plans someday to weld up some metal
bases to set on the floor first, which would make them even easier to use...

Visitors LOVE being able to see what is going on.  And our PR people put
up posters on the doors to let visitors know our exhibits are changing;
 if it is a traveling exhibition we've developed or are touring, they
also have posters to let our visitors know that we send our exhibitions
all over the US.

Kathy Krafft
Exhibitions Curator
Sciencenter