ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carlyn S Buckler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2013 01:19:39 +0000

One nice thing about science museums is they often have vast collections.  Natural history museums, classically, but now also many science centers, Maker Spaces, etc., all have collections that can facilitate experimentation, understanding of science principles, as well as demonstrate evolution, biology, Earth science, physics, etc.  Most schools certainly don’t have the resources to acquire, maintain, or house extensive collections.

Science museum staff are particularly trained to engage audience in science through these collections, and present hands-one experiences for teachers to take back to their classrooms.  Many museums have teaching collections which can be used ‘on-site’ in classrooms, again facilitating learning through real specimens.  Powerful stuff -

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Carlyn S. Buckler, Ph.D.
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Science Museum Studies
Cooperstown Graduate Program
5838 State Route 80
Cooperstown, NY 13326
P:  607.547.2586
F:  607.547.8926
C:  607.592.4108

"Suspended judgment is the greatest triumph of intellectual discipline”.  W.R. Brooks