ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:06:03 +1100

Edith,

Over the years we've done and seen a range of fractal based exhibits.

We've had pre-rendered animated tours through the Mandelbrot, Julia, and other fractals (screen based)

We've had set some parameters, and watch one develop (and even 10 years ago, the processing speed was enough to have some people interested).

We've done interactive kiosks dealing with "natural" shapes, including fractals, spirals, curlicues, linden-Myer branching patterns, and algorithmically generated plants, fibrionaci et al, with interactive elements, and nice images of natural examples of where the maths can be seen.

I've seen a very nice simple physical fractal exhibit of the hele-shaw effect

( a nice image of the effect is at http://www.ualberta.ca/~tayfun/eogrrc/Tarek-4.jpg).

These patterns form when air if draw rapidly into a viscous fluid ( often done between thin plats).

Technorama ( Switzerland) did a nice small interactive version of this. A thick polycarbonate plate, small air hole, held against a white deck, with a blue fluid ( glycerine or oil) between. When you pull the top sheet up, air is draw very quickly into the gap, bursting through the fluid like the roots of a tree. Push it down, try again.

There are also a lot of great chaos based exhibits, but the public often find it hard to link these to fractal patterns.

Nice area to deal with.

Stuart Kohlhagen
Manager Research and Development
Questacon