ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 10:59:47 -0400

We have used a process for consensus that we learned from some of our
corporate partners, called the "Exception Process."  The process begins with
a draft document.  Then the document is reviewed by the entire group in a
meeting, preferably with an outside facilitator, using the following
formula.

Participant:  "I take exception to..."

Facilitator "What change would make it acceptable to you?"

Participant: It would be acceptable to me if..."

Facilitator: "So if it read [repeat changes here, possibly clarifying
wording if really necessary], would that be acceptable to you?"

The exceptions can be to either things that are there or to things that are
missing.  No one else is allowed to speak during this exchange and side
conversations should also be prohibited - these are very important ground
rules.  The facilitator helps clarify wording but should not change meaning,
which is why it is helpful to have a person external to the agenda do the
facilitation.  Yes, the dialog is stilted, but it does make sure a person is
heard.  The person with the exception must suggest an acceptable
alternative.  If they cannot, the facilitator might probe a little, but
should keep the responsibility firmly with the participant.  If an
alternative cannot be suggested, the exception is not allowed.  Once an
exception is resolved to the satisfaction of an individual, the next
exception is heard.  Of course, someone may take exception to the exception.
They should not, however, be allowed to change it back to the original,
since there is already an exception on the floor to the original.  They
must, in turn, revise it to be acceptable.

This process may take a long time and should not be rushed, but it will
eventually result either in consensus or reveal that there are fundamental
disagreements that need to be resolved before reconvening.

David Smith, Da Vinci Discovery Center, Bethlehem, PA