ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 12:49:24 -0400

Hi all-

We've made a custom housing to protect the Scalar model L2
Scope-on-a-Ropes, and cables back to the cabinets, for our traveling
exhibition "It's a NanoWorld." The L2 model is sold by School Technology
Resources, with RCA connection to a television monitor(s) or video
projector:

http://www.strscopes.com

If you're using them in a supervised setting, they might work just fine
as-is, without the housing.

They also make a version designed for use with USB connection to a
computer, which is less expensive.  Both types use the same set of
lenses, available at different magnifications.   They recently added a
wireless version to connect to Ipad or Iphone or Ipod touch.

And they've added a new style that has some adjustable zoom, looks to be
lighterweight and less expensive, that might be great for programs.

Happy to send a couple of photos of the housing if anyone is really
interested (and we've made some for other museums too for several
hundred $$).  You can see one photo at the exhibition website:  click on
"museum renters" and then "exhibit descriptions" and scroll down

http://www.itsananoworld.org/

Even then, with the heavy use they get in a traveling exhibition, the
lenses need to be replaced every 6 months or so, and the cameras every
year or so.  It does protect the cables (RCA connection to TV, and
low-voltage power feed to camera) and keep visitors from banging the
lens housings down hard, or messing with the settings on the camera to
capture photos, etc.  They might be discontinuing that model for TVs in
another year or two.

The hand held video magnifiers (30X and 200X) really work well to help
young children come to understand that there are amazing things inside
their bodies that are too small to see with just their eyes.  They don't
understand microscopes, but being able to hold and move around the video
magnifiers is a huge success to look at their hair, bellybutton,
clothing, and samples we have mounted. Our target audience is 5-8 year
olds, who don't understand magnification or scale, nor are they
necessarily readers.  We've also got some hand-held 2X standard
magnifiers plus 5X, and 10X loupe-style magnifiers.

Kathy Krafft
Exhibitions Curator
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY