ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kirsten Ellenbogen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:20:13 -0500

A good place to start is "Opening doors with informal science: Exposure
& access for our underserved students" by L.S. Jones in Science
Education 81(6) (the special issue on informal science ed). And take a
look at the recent two part Journal of Museum Education on sociocultural
issues in museums (spring/summer 2003 and winter 2003). Doris Ash has an
article in there about the work she does at Monterey Bay Aquarium on the
conversation of families with a child in Head Start.

I'd also recommend Sally Middlebrook's book "Getting to Know City Kids:
Understanding Their Thinking, Imagining, and Socializing." Another good
read is "Burning buses, burning crosses: Student teachers see civil
rights" by Leinhardt and Gregg in the book Learning Conversations in
Museums. (This one is about ethnicity differences rather than
socioeconomic status - and I'd definitely recommend "Leisure decisions
influencing African American use of museums" by John Falk as a good
place to start for separating the influences of socioeconomic status
from ethnicity.)

If you have access to the Journal of Research in Science Teaching, look
for articles by Angela Calabrese Barton to see some really interesting
science education studies (she publishes regularly in that journal). Her
work does not take place in science centers and museums, but is very
much about learning science outside of school with people who would be
considered low socioeconomic status.

And lastly, a number of science museums are engaged in large science
education related programs for urban youth and families that include
participants who represent a socioeconomic diversity. For example, at
the Franklin Institute (working with collaborators around Philadelphia
and the U.S.) there is Families Exploring Science Together (FEST), Girls
at the Center, as well as PACTS & PEERS (teen programs). (I know there's
also interesting work like this going in rural areas, but don't know it
off the top of my head - hopefully someone else can fill that in...)

Kirsten

Kirsten Ellenbogen

Institute for Learning Innovation

166 West Street, Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-268-5149    Fax: 410-268-2179

www.ilinet.org