ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:42:45 -0500

I'm sure momentum is conserved and could be used to construct an
explanation of that funnel, but it's beyond me, too.  We have this as an
exhibit and it is easily explained directly by Bernoulli -in this case
the air on the bottom of the ball is hardly moving at all and so exerts
normal atmospheric pressure or close to it.  The flow is probably not
conforming to the ball, but likely separates from it, leaving eddies
below the ball with slower flow.  There's a classic classroom demo of
this with a spool and an index card.  Blow into the spool, facing down,
with the card on the other end and the card will be suspended just below
the spool.

Dave

David L. Smith, Ph.D.
Director of Professional Development