ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Hurst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:01:09 -0700

Hi all,

How have you used storytelling and/ or theater in your education
programs (any topic: science, art, history, etc.)? What has worked?
What hasn't? In what way have these methods been effective
educational tools?

Detailed replies appreciated, but quick answers are fine, too. I'm
trying to get a general overview, as well as some concrete examples,
of how storytelling and theater are used in museums, science centers
and other informal educational institutions.

With your reply, please let me know if I may mention the information...
1. during a session at the ASTC conference (see below)?
2. during a presentation to my museum education class at SFSU?

And now for a shameless self promotion... If you're interested in the
topic of storytelling and theatre in in informal science education,
and will be attending the ASTC conference in Philadelphia, you may
want to check out two relevant sessions on Sunday, October 19:

Science: Tell It Like a Story (Part 1, Why?)
Sunday, October 19, 12:30 - 1:45
Convention Center/Room 109AB
Panelists, including researchers, educators, and professional
storytellers, will discuss the use of oral storytelling in science
centers and other informal science settings. Topics will include
research, best practices, and examples of applications. Panelists
will also perform oral stories and theatrical pieces.

Presenters:
Laura Martin, Director, Science Interpretation, Arizona Science Center
Lynn Moroney, Professional Storyteller
Fran Stallings, Biologist & Professional Storyteller
Larry Gard, Artistic Director, Carpenter Science Theatre Company,
Science Museum of Virginia
Anna Hurst, Astronomy Educator, Astronomical Society of the Pacific

Science: Tell It Like a Story  (Part 2, How?)
Sunday, October 19, 2:30 - 3:45
Convention Center/Room 106AB
In this follow-up to today’s 12:30 session, professional storytellers
and educators will share techniques for using oral storytelling to
communicate science. Together, we will compare the language of story
and the language of science and learn “tricks” of the storytelling
trade, including how to find and learn stories.

Presenters:
Lynn Moroney, Professional Storyteller
Fran Stallings, Biologist & Professional Storyteller
Deron Ash, Director of Education, Imagine Nation Museum
Harry White, Techniquest
Anna Hurst, Astronomy Educator, Astronomical Society of the Pacific

Thanks for your always helpful responses!

best wishes,
Anna

Anna Hurst
Astronomical Society of the Pacific