ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Barthelow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 11:06:47 -0700

Katie,

You might emphasize how useful the internert search engines can be to get information that is
pertinent to their quests.  Teach use of Google with Boolean searches  (this AND that)
Which target a narrowly defined object.
I, in the course of 2 minutes came up with these sites useful to your take apart activity.

This PPT is espcially Good.
http://www.laspace.lsu.edu/aces/Lectures/Electronics/Electronics%20Lecture%202.ppt

http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/sc/a.html
http://www.logwell.com/tech/components/component_identification.html
http://zeus.cedcc.psu.edu/
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=4232
http://www.efsot-europe.info/servlet/is/Entry.2244.Display/
http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/symbol.htm

While I would not expose young ones to TV tubes, or high voltage power supplies,
I would just let them know that CAPACITORS are the devices that they can easily recognize  and make inert (harmless)   You could even have someone knowledgeable demostrate how to check and make safe any unknown capacitor that you may find in take apart.  That person could get a charged high value, low voltage capacitor, and do a short circuit  demo, with lasting impressions set in the kids minds of the pop and spark produced.  Then show them how it is easy to safely work around them, and that suitable  informed,  is is easy to safely take apart almost any
consumer device, with the exception of Televisions, that include the picture tube, or the Flyback Transformers.  All other parts of a Salvaged TV are good source material for component identification.

The other idea is to
Google Image Search  "PC Boards,"  and you can  do an easy virtual take apart, and identify components  from the huge amount of photo you can fetch from the web.

73,    All the best,
Pat Barthelow   AA6EG
Jamesburg Moonbounce Team