ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:54:13 -0400

Hi--  I have two suggestions.

1.  We developed a very successful exhibit using blocks and rods on a
shaking table, as part of our traveling exhibition Tech City.  If you
are patient, you can see it in action just over 1/2 way through the
quicktime video on the website

http://www.sciencenter.org/exhibits/ExhibitionsForRent.htm

This was so popular we included two copies in the final exhibition.  The
exhibition was about engineering-- and we found a lot of good
conversations about the tradeoffs between cost and safety-- the more
reinforcing you do the more expensive the building.  No one was
interested in actually counting blocks/rods and totally a nominal cost
(we tried this in prototyping)..

I'll be happy to email digital photos to anyone interested.

2.  We're also going to be working with a group of researchers at
Cornell University, as the outreach component for a NEESR grant.  NEES
is a collaborative of a number of research institutions engaged in
different aspects of earthquake research.

One of the things we'll most likely be using there is a table-top
earthquake table developed by Quanser corporation a few years ago for
testing on a small scale; they initially developed it for a different
(UCIST) research consortium but sell two different models now
(one-direction called Table II, or x-y shake table that goes in two
directions called ).  These setups come with table and software that is
somewhat sophisticated (for museum visitors for sure) but enables you to
control and test different variables, or simulate different quakes.

http://www.quanser.com/english/downloads/products/Shake_Table_III_brochure.pdf
http://www.quanser.com/english/downloads/products/Specialty/QuanserShakeTable_II_PIS.pdf

Kathy Krafft
Director of Exhibits