ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jennifer Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:22:15 -0500

Hi all,

We still need your help!  Let me know if any of you are interested in
helping develop session ideas or helping with a current idea being thrown
around in this most recent communication ("nuts and bolts" of Diversity and
Inclusion).  Here is the following information from a few of us who have
started a conversation about a Diversity and Inclusion session for ASTC
2013.

--possible panel that presents D & I from various view points, ie -
leadership; implementation; development; the field, guest relations, etc.
--panel presentation is more suited to this subject matter. Especially
given some of the sensitive material that tends to come from these
discussions. The idea of diversity is very important to ASTC and the member
museums, but implementation and the reality of it is far more complicated
than the platitudes that are usually thrown around. A great session would
involve a panel of people that are from both large and small museums, and
museums that have a well developed plan for D&I and museums that are just
starting out. Basically the session would be a "how to" or "nuts and bolts"
presentation on implementation and continuing diversity and inclusion
initiatives.
--idea of diversity across the institution and a "nuts and bolts" session
--Another idea (and maybe it's overlapping?) is to have a working session
for museums with a diversity task force/committee/work group or wanting to
start one.
--A session may also benefit from emulating Rap Sessions. During ASTC 2011
there was a session that Don from New Jersey Academy of Aquatic Sciences
hosted (think he was the primary on that session) learning that other youth
programs were using Rap Sessions with great success. Rap Sessions are
basically conversation opportunities where a topic is chosen by the
facilitator.

I know this subject is important to many of you and I feel we have the
resources to develop a great session for 2013!  Please join the
conversation at ASTC Connect, Diversity Community of Practice!

--
Jennifer Jenkins
Visitor Services Manager