ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kathy Krafft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:55:08 -0500

Hi Martin and all-

We have a number of books that travel with two of our exhibitions, "It's
a Nano World" and "Too Small To See" that have held up remarkably well.
 It's particularly nice for those exhibitions, all about things that you
can't see, to include some picture books for young children and some
books targeting older kids, for interested parents and kids.  You walk
by and the books have moved around, so people do read them to their kids
and by themselves while waiting for their kids.  We've got nice seating
areas too, which also helps.

We laminate each page in the book individually, leaving maybe 3"  of
extra laminating material to the left (the binding side) and trimming
the other three sides to leave 1/4";  we use 5mil laminating material
that goes through a heating element.  Then we make a pair of wooden
boards out of  ~1/2" thick quality plywood, that are maybe 2" wide and
as long as the book is tall (rounded, sanded, and polyurethaned of
course). We stack up the pages, and sandwich the plain part of the
laminated page in-between the boards, then drill through the entire
assembly, and finally hold it all together with bolts and corresponding
recessed nuts that have very flat heads (Hafele calls them Screw nuts-
page 391 of their furniture/cabinetry catalog;  the bolt and nut take
allen wrenches
http://www.hafele.com/us/external/catalog/pages09/391.pdf  ).

When you turn the pages there's an extra 1" or so of plain laminating
sheet that takes the brunt of the page-turning.

This method with the wooden boards seems to keep the books from
disappearing!

After a year or two the front or back covers might have their corners
bent some, but they look pretty good still.  I"ll send you a digital
photo- a picture is worth a thousand words.  You can also put "return to
exhibition" or logo stickers on the book cover before laminating.

Kathy Krafft
Exhibit Projects Director
Sciencenter
Ithaca, NY