ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Mar 2013 13:05:35 -0700

Hi Alison et all,
The type of hoop will vary the experience.  We have our long standing bubble hoops.  With them, only a tiny fraction of visitors succeed in making bubbles with the hoops, and the big hoop takes lots of practice and luck even if you're good. Both provide significant feedback cues so for the 3 to 4% bubble making success rate and sustains interest.  There 's a big payoff and lots of "ooze and aahs!"  Graphic explanations seem pretty secondary, but essential.  There always seems to be a few bubble masters that show up in the crowds.  For the other 95% they typically find other ways to succeed.  Surprisingly the technique transfer rate from expert to novice bmaker damps within several visitors.  So everyone successfully and enjoyably struggles and a few succeed making big bubbles, but it's a blast anyway.

I'm sure it's possible to figure out a remote STEM justification, but the mere challenge of doing something with a bubble solution provides more than enough challenge and inquiry based activity.  And plain old fun.

It used to be said that it took a few days and the accumulation of a few dead flies in the solution to make it really good, i.e. age and use made it better, but polyethylene oxide seems to make it good right out of the gate.

I'm curious as to the experience of others.

Sent from Charlie's iPhone
510-499-8086