ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wendy Yung <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 2010 13:48:04 +1100

Hello everyone,

We're trying to recreate an exhibit that was built about a decade
ago--it's a large 'hourglass' containing an incredibly viscous fluid
that took years to hit the bottom of the container. We've taken to
calling the fluid 'goop'.

We want to start off a new blob of goop, but it seems nobody knows where
we got it from, or what it really is, hence we're having problems
getting more. Can anybody suggest what kind of  'goop' we could put into
a new hourglass? We're looking for an extremely viscous fluid that looks
solid, but will flow very very slowly over time.

I'm aware of the 'pitch drop' experiment at the University of Queensland
where they used pitch as 'goop'. Again, that experiment was started so
long ago that nobody really knows what ingredients went into it. We
tried a sample of pitch but it didn't work for us. Has anybody had any
luck with pitch as a slow-moving fluid?

Thanks for your time,
Wendy

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED