ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
marilyn hoyt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2012 08:44:10 -0400

Don't see this note coming up yet re: the "should exhibitions be central"
question.  In an article coming up in the Exhibitionist, a number of
colleagues across the country shared their work underway to shift galleries
to "maker" type content. We know our science center visitors love maker
faires and turn out for them in droves.  But we don't seem to have
experience, let alone actual studies, informing us as to whether visitors
learn content at the same levels as they do with exhibits...or whether
visitors will see maker galleries as compelling enough to compete for
family time, and the return-desire that leads to membership sales.   In
addition, although we have -- as a field -- a lot of experience with the
costs of building and maintaining exhibitions using different business
models (volunteer, in-house staff, out-of-house), we need to develop this
experience with building and maintaining maker spaces.   Does a successful
festival a successful 12-month experience make?  We really don't know...but
there is a huge experiment underway in the field right now.

--
Marilyn Hoyt
110 Sixth Avenue