ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sam Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 11:13:30 -0500

Hi Eric!

I admit I am salivating at the prospect.  Lots of great possibilities!

From what I read in USA Today yesterday (Wed., May 30), it looks to be
camera tracking, and is able then to read bar codes and other visual scan
interfaces, which opens an interesting possibility on how people can
interact with Surface.  Makes an interesting thought to allow people to just
set their museum membership card down on the tabletop and out spills your
last visit, things you wanted to see again, perhaps even pics from your ride
on whatever big weenie is at the museum.
<http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2007-05-29-microsoft-surface_N.htm?cs
p=34>

And an excerpt: " What's more, while a version of Vista helps make the table
interactive, Microsoft has been careful to leave the familiar computer
interface out of it. You won't see a "Start" button or any other icons,
objects and folders common to Windows, even when booting up the system."  So
hopefully no appearances of the dreaded blue screen of death...

Best-

Samson

--
Sam Dean