ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
skoshi wise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:46:57 -0800

Hello Again,
I just wanted to say thank you in advance to everyone who replies to this
request!

Last summer we had a telescope building summer camp and the students built
six Newtonian reflector telescopes with 8-inch apertures on Dobsonian
mounts.  They also have a Telrad finder.  We now want to start a telescope
lending program.  Is there anyone out there who currently has such a program
in place?  If so, I would be interested in how you run yours and any tips
that might be helpful.

Specifically:
1)	Check out procedures.  Do you require a deposit or contract?  Do you
require personal training?  Must they be a member?  Can they check them out
anytime the museum is open?
2)	Length of check out time.  We were thinking a lunar cycle.
3)	Information provided with the scope.  Do you also provide star maps
and other resources?  Do you provide a "scavenger hunt" or list of
objectives resulting in a certificate if all objects found?
4)	Maintenance.  Do the scopes require columnation each time?  Any
other regular maintenance?
5)	Evaluation.  Samples of evaluations that you have used with the
program would be great!

I am sure that there are things that I am missing, but any feedback would be
greatly appreciated!  Again, thanks in advance for your response.

Skoshi Wise
Director of Education
ScienceWorks Hands-On Museum
541.482.6767 ext. 26