ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Peggy Monahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:52:10 -0700

Of the titles suggested so far, personally, I like "Evolution is
Science".  It's very straightforward and powerful, and it's a great
microcosm of the whole statement.

To me, "The Science of Evolution" doesn't make as strong a statement.
"The Science of..." is a phrase that often gets finished with things
that aren't really science:  The Science of the Circus, The Science of
Star Trek, The Science of Baseball, The Science of Chocolate, etc. While
I understand that all of these topics can be explored through the lens
of science, I think we're trying to say something more profound when it
comes to evolution.

I've taken a stab at editing Kodi's wonderful statement down to under
200 words.  I've had to sacrifice quite a bit, as you could imagine.
One of the most painful sacrifices was the comparison to Copernicus. I
know that he's a useful poster child for "ideas that were once heresy",
but ultimately, I didn't want to wait a paragraph to get to Darwin.

Kodi mused that perhaps visitors would be willing to read a long panel
if it was a topic of concern to them.  I agree with that thought, but I
still think it's worth trying to shorten this to a more
readable-while-standing-up length if we can.

Here's my attempt:

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
Evolution is Science

Science is about testing ideas. In fact, if there's no way to test an
idea's validity, that idea can't be considered science. Scientists have
tested Darwin's idea about evolution by using it to predict and explain
phenomena from geology to microbiology. For example, evolution explains
why antibiotics stop working after a period of time and helps us make
new strategies for future medications. The more things Darwin's idea
could explain and predict, the stronger the idea became.  Eventually,
the idea became a theory - the very highest achievement of any idea in
science.

If Darwin's theory had failed in a prediction or explanation, even once,
scientists would have had to revise or even discard the theory.  But the
idea has held strong throughout decades of rigorous testing. The Theory
of Evolution has become the unifying theory of biology.

As a science center, we respect the most basic tenets of science. We
must keep an open mind while we test our world, then let those tests
teach us what they will. Evolutionary theory continues to teach us new
things every day.  Evolution IS science.

___
Peggy Monahan
Manager of Exhibit Design and Development
Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose
180 Woz Way
San Jose, CA 95110
408-298-5437 x285