ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Moretti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2007 14:07:55 -0500

You might look into Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org/), a fairly
lightweight open-source PBX that can be configured to just about anything,
including playing sound files based on the system date.  We use it here for
our main PBX and for PA paging, both on really, really old hardware (~10
years old) on Linux.  It is fairly easy to learn if you're familiar with
Linux applications--we were up and running in 2 days when our previous main
PBX suddenly, and unexpectedly, died and we couldn't afford to shell out a
ton of money for a new one.  A couple of really helpful resources:

http://www.asteriskdocs.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=11
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk
http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/

Best regards!