Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:14:59 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (69 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

Arizona Science Center has an amateur radio station, Harkins Ham Shack. It is run completely by volunteer operators. When guests visit the station, they learn Morse Code and the importance of amateur radio, and have the opportunity to connect with other operators from around the world. The operators also provide teachers with resources to take back to the classroom to continue discussions about why amateur radio is still a very important means of communication. I no longer work in the galleries but if you are interested, I can connect you with the manager in charge of the gallery where our station is.

Jeannie Colton
Senior Manager of Outreach
Arizona Science Center
Phone: 602-716-2000 ext. 253 | Fax: 602-716-2088 
[log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Informal Science Education Network [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jason Archer
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 8:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Ham Radios

ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

All,

Here at the New England Air Museum we have an opportunity to get a HAM radio station.   Before we proceed, I was wondering if there were other science centers and museums that have ham radios and, if so, what types of programs are offered, how are they used, etc?   The ham radio equipment is to be donated.   The image that comes to my mind is of Dr. Arroway as a kid talking to Pensacola, FL in the movie (and book) Contact.  Based on that alone, I am sold...haha...but I want to know if it is worth our time and effort, and that the equipment can be beneficial before I accept the donation.  

Thanks,

Jason

Jason T. Archer
Director of Floor Programs
NEW ENGLAND AIR MUSEUM
Bradley International Airport
36 Perimeter Rd
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
860.623.3305 ext 316

Facebook   https://www.facebook.com/NewEnglandAirMuseum#!/NewEnglandAirMuseum

UPCOMING EVENTS AT NEAM:
~ 'Things with Wings:  Planes & Quilts' at NEAM September 17th - 23rd ~ 'Comic Construction of WWII' Program September 30th ~ Open Cockpits and RC Swap Meet October 7th ~ Speaker Program October 14th ~ 'War & Disability' Exhibit Nov 1-30 ~ 'Women Take Flight' November 4 ~ Veterans Day Program November 11

Visit www.neam.org for details on these and other activities for the whole family!  

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to [log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2